Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Learned Bangla

I spent about a month in Dhaka, Bangladesh, with my wonderful boyfriend and his family. During my stay I managed to learn some helpful words and phrases. I tried my best to categorize what I've learned.

Note: The country is Bangladesh (home of Bangla). The people and culture are Bengoli, and the language is Bangla.

The Bengolis fought a war to retain the right to speak Bangla, and their war is acknowledged by the United Nations when they declared February 21st as Mother language day.

Greetings:

What's up? Ki Khobor
How are you? Kemon acho?
How are you? (Respectful, for elders) Kemon Achen?

I am good. Ami Bhalo/ Bhalo Ase.
Not good. Bhalo na.

What's happening? Ki hoi se?
Nothing. Kichew na.

Where? Koothai/koi
When? Ko khon?
How? Kemon kore?
Why? Kano?

Basic commands:

Come. Asho/(respectful, for elders) ashen
I'm coming. Ashtasey/ashi
Sit. Bosho/(respectful, for elders) Boshen
Wait/stand. Darow/(respectful, for elders) Daren
Will you not eat? Kaba na?
I will eat. Kabo
I ate. Kayasee
I ate too much. Kaysee onik.

Very. Onik.
Too much. Khub.

No comments:

Post a Comment